Thursday, August 13, 2009

SDCC 2009 Sketches

Every year at SDCC I try to get some sketches in my sketch book from some of the many artists signing at the booths during the Con. I discovered Debbie Huey's Bumperboy character about 4 years ago while strolling through the Small Press Tables. Thought her characters were really cute on the books, buttons, stickers and shirts she had. Stories in the book are kinda aimed toward a younger audience, but I thought they were very cute and entertaining. She always has a new book or mini-book, buttons or item at every SDCC. I make sure to pick whatever it is up, plus a sketch of a different character. So far I have Bumperboy, Bumperpup, BAM! and now Hugga Hugga Bear.

I got 3 sketches from David Horvath, co-creator of Uglydolls, this year. Would have had a fourth, but I got 2 sketches on postcards for some fellow boardies on the Uglydoll site. Think me and Justin went to almost every one of his signings. He did one of Super Sentai Babo, one of Kaiju Target and one of Bossy Bear and Turtle (could not believe that I did not have a Bossy Bear sketch in my book yet). Didn't get a sketch from Sun-Min, but I heard she was around the Con with Mina and David's sister, Kerry. I did see David's brother-in-law, Darth, but he was working and I didn't want to interrupt him for a sketch at the booth he was at.

Was even lucky enough to get a sketch from Kozik of a Monger Booger surfing and a bear from Luke Cheuh. These two are a first for my sketchbook, so I'm happy about that. Should have gotten on from Crystal Chesney Thompson (creator of the Haminal) and another from Dan Goodsell (Mr. Toast). I can get a sketch from Dan another day, since I see him at other conventions all the time.

This year was a little crazy as mentioned in a previous post, so I wasn't able to get sketches from other artists that I wanted. I can't wait to get more next year though. Hope it's not as crazy...

3 comments:

Justin said...

Awesome sketches! I thought I gave you a big paper board? Maybe that was someone else. I like that Sentai Babo a lot!

Sidd said...

Amazing sketches, Dean. How nice to have these in your collection. Of course I especially love David's sketches. So glad you posted them for all to see. Hope to see you one day at SDCC.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic sketches!!! That Hugga one is sooo darn cute.. I'm gonna have to get one next year hehe.. ^__^