Saturday, August 08, 2009

SDCC 2009

SDCC 2009 was a few weeks ago and I know I am late with this, but the most unexpected thing came up the Sunday I came back from the Con. I got sick with the flu. This thing laid me up in bed for almost 3 days and I still have a slight cough lingering. It didn't help my body to recover when I have a publishing deadline while sick either.

But anywhoo... this has been, by far, one of my worst SDCC experiences. This year I could not go to Preview Night, since I had a deadline to finish that afternoon. Plus I had to buy individual days since 4-day passes had sold out the day I was going to buy them in April. Driving down to SD that night was pretty bad. Had I known that they were doing construction on the 5 that night and reduced the freeway lanes to one, I would have taken the long way around. I got to my hotel at midnight, starving and ready to get some sleep.

So first day line to pick up the badge was unbelieveable. Think I got there a little after 7:30am. I have never seen the line get that crazy. I mean it went out behind the SDCC building, through a parking lot and right to the edge of the docks. It took me almost 2 hours just to get my badge. Which by that time I missed the first exclusive I wanted to get... the SJ Dunnys. Heard that release had all kinds of problems too. Then I heard that some of the other exclusives had sold out on Preview Night... which sucked. Hasbro and Mattel had given out all the tix for their booth. Mattel's were gone until Saturday. Crowds were insane in some areas of the building. Wasn't even able to get the Wonder Twins w/Gleek and He-Ro figures since they sold out Friday.

Eventhough the first day went a little crazy, the rest of the days were much better to get my passes. In fact I was able to get my Hasbro tix right after I got my pass since they were in the same area. The line to get in from upstairs in the Sails Pavillion was really short and went in a few minutes early. Which really helped.

Now the entire experience wasn't all bad. I got to meet and hang with a lot of boardies from KR and Uglydoll. Met SuperBen and his friend Danny; hung out with Just1nj; saw Noella, Ray and Elora; Jmonsuko gave me a tix for a cool Human Target shirt; saw hch05 (didn't get a chance to meet though); saw Josh and always visited Dan's Mr. Toast booth. I think I got a sketch from David everyday of the Con at almost every one of his signings. I picked up everything I need to for the people I muled for. Think I got almost all the items I wanted, even some I just unexpectedly bought, like at the DKE sample sale I got a Green Guni-Guni, 2 Doolie Boxes, 2 plush Tarts and Mothman/Flatwoods Supermarket figures. Then there was the LE Mini Cupco plush and mug from Poketo, Bossy Bear Mimobot from Mimoco and Big Monger Booger from Kozik. Then there were a few action figures that I could not pass up at 3 for $10. Really wanted to get an Uglydoll jacket, but the price was a little too much for my budget.

I'm hoping next year it is not as crazy, but I already know that it will be. I know that the prices for passes will be higher. The advance ticket price for SDCC 2010 was $100 with and without Preview Night. So it's going to be a little more than that next year. Parking was at $20 in areas, hopefully that doesn't go up too much. No matter what, I'm going to go next year... even try to make it to Preview Night I hope.

2 comments:

Sidd said...

That was a really newsy and well written post about SDCC. I felt the highs, lows, and excitement.
Who is the cute little fuzzy fellow with the three dealies on his head? SO CUTE.
Someday I really must make it to an event. Thank you for everything. I hope someday to return the favor in some way.
It sounds like you managed to pick up some fun goodies.

deanobot said...

Thanks Sidd! I'm glad I could make your (and your friend's) day by getting you a few things. I'm so glad they arrived safely. Apologies for the delay with being sick and all.

The lows can still not bring me down from the highs of the Con. Even with all the craziness it was fun and I'll be doing it again next year.

The green guy below is Brobee from Yo Gabba Gabba! It's a kids show on Noggin (Nickelodeon channel). Extremely popular with kids and adults. KidRobot is part of the company that produces the show.