Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Studio Restructuring

Going to be rearranging the studio a bit in the next few weeks. Not going to be any big construction, just changing the layout, adding/switching out some furniture and another person is moving in. The main reason for the rearranging. Ty is joining me here in the studio, since it has been only me there. I've known him for a long time and he is a very talented designer. He does a lot of sewing projects like baby/kids clothing and handbags using Japanese/Hawaiian printed materials. We were supposed to collaborate on a plush project a few years ago, he was living in SF at the time and I was in LA, but things got busy for the both of us. Now that we are in the same studio that plush project may be coming back. So you may see some characters I drew in plush form. I'll post some later on. I have to say that I have not been very motivated, within the past year, at using the studio. But maybe this is just "the kick in the butt" I need to be creatively motivated.

It's been a a few years since we last changed the studio. In the beginning phases of getting the studio remodeled there were 3 of us partnered in on the project: Ash, Derek and myself. Just before finishing and relocating to the upstairs unit Ash left on creative differences and we were left with the 2 of us. In 2006 we were set and ready to go. Derek had used the space to edit and film a documentary movie on the history of the fortune cookie, but hasn't been there since the beginning of 2008. It has pretty much been just me using the space.

2 comments:

Sidd said...

This is the kind of change that can be so motivating and exciting. It encourages me to get back to projects that are gathering a bit of dust. I'm glad for you!

wadiefong said...

The studio is still looking good! Love the cool minty walls and the warmth of the wooden beams.

Good to see you blogging again Deanie! :-D