Sunday, December 06, 2009

GR2 Post-It 4 Show

GR2 had the opening of the Post-It 4 show on Saturday. Heard there were something like 1300+ pieces submitted by 150+ artists. My camera's battery was dead so I had to take pics with my iPhone, which isn't that great. GR2 pre-show pics here and here. Pieces were priced from $5 to $40 for single post-its and $40-$300 for post-its made up of multiple pieces. This was a great chance to get a piece of original art from an artist at a really great, inexpensive price. All are "cash and carry." So once you bought it, it comes off the wall and you take it home right away. You could only purchase one item from each artist, since some only submitted one and others may have submitted more than one.

I got there about 5:30pm and there was a handful of people already there. At this point you could really get up close to the wall and see the artwork... that would change in the next half-hour at opening. Once Michelle put the sign up sheet out to purchase art a little before 6pm, a line formed quickly. I was last on the first page of the list.

The place got packed really quickly and you could hardly move or get close to the wall to take a good look at the post-its. Michelle started calling names from the sign up list and pieces started coming off the walls. It took people a while to get their pieces because some were still looking and making their decisions right then. Pieces are coded on the back. Unless you know the artists' work or they signed their piece, it could be difficult finding something you wanted. It took about an hour until my name was called.

This was such a great show! Even after I left, about 8pm, there was still a huge crowd there waiting for their chance to make a purchase. I got a David Horvath, Sun-Min Kim, Mina Horvath, APAK, Saelee Oh, Gary Baseman and Le Merde. I got all the ones I wanted to get, although the Baseman one was my second choice. First choice was a post-it with his Toby character in it. I went back the next day and there are still a lot of great pieces left. All of David's were gone. There were a couple of Sun-Min's and Mina's still available. I think I got pics of all of their pieces here.

1 comment:

Sidd said...

Weird, I thought I already commented on these cools pics of the post-its! Anyway, COOL! Thanks for sharing them.