Monday, December 14, 2009

Janie XY

I am a huge collector of a lot of things. Plush creations being just one of them. Especially when they are really cute and handmade. So when I saw these items at Unique L.A. I had to get them. These are handmade plush by Janie XY.

Her booth was almost decked out like a fruit stand. Which matched a lot of her plush items. There were quite a few items to choose from: 2 types of bunnies, whales (small and large), 3 different color cats, eggplants, strawberries, oranges, pears and tomatos. All with names tags and a short bio on them. There was even stackable ice cream cones, which was really cool. The plush ice cream cone had different types of ice cream scoops that go on top of it (each piece sold separately). A magnet is under the material on the tops and bottoms, which helps them to hold together when they stack on each other. It wobbles a little when you have 2-3 ice cream scoops on the cone.

The item that really drew me to her booth was the round plush rabbit, Lars. The moment I saw it on the table I picked it up and gave it a squeeze, then a tiny shake. Thought there was a jingle bell inside, but I was wrong. The girl behind the booth looked at me and said, "It's really cute, huh." Then I said "This would be perfect if it had a bell inside it." She replied, "She can make it with a bell inside." But I was fine without one in it. Found out that the actual creator of these plush items had stepped away from the booth for the moment. So I didn't have a chance to meet the creator. I picked out Lars the bunny and wanted one of the cats, Ramses. There was a gray and pink cat too, but I liked the bright orange color of Ramses. As I was about to make my purchase I was told that if I got another item that totaled $40, I would get Ramses free. So I picked the orange, Nancy.

I may have to get one of the whales through her Etsy store. Thought about getting it when I was at Unique L.A., but I didn't have time to go back to her booth. I did notice some differences with the pics on her items in the Etsy store with the ones I purchased. The orange has a shape and face similar to the tomato. Might be that the pics have not been updated on the site yet. Even with that I think these are some really great plush items.

1 comment:

Janie said...

Hi! I just found this post and I just wanted to say thank you for it! I'm Jane, the designer of Janie XY and it really means a lot to me when I find people taking time out of their day to write about my toys :) It's too bad I didn't get to meet you. Maybe next fair! :)