Monday, May 18, 2009

Hello Kitty

So about 2 weeks ago my dog starts barking near the corner of the garage and retaining wall in the evening. I go to check it out and find out that a cat has decided to hang out in the space between there. Not only that, but it brought 2 kittens along with it. One beige the other black and white, mother was calico colored. Since it was already dark and late in the evening, I thought it best to not do anything until morning. Also hoped that the mother cat would move them now that it knows my dog is there.

The next morning I go to check and they are gone, or so I thought. That afternoon both kittens were hiding nearby with no sign of the mother. So I went to try and catch them before they went back into the crevice between the garage and the wall. Unfortunately the black and white one took off and somehow squeezed through a neighbor's chain link fence. The other one wasn't as active but still would not budge from the crevice. I finally had to maneuver it into a fishing net from there, then put it into a box with a bowl of water. It seemed a bit scared and I really didn't want to stress it out anymore than it was, so I left it alone for a bit in the box out back. I think I left it for about 10 minutes and when I went to go check the box it was empty. I started looking all over the backyard for a couple of minutes and found it in a corner of the yard hiding in a yellow patch of grass. Picked it up with gardening gloves and put it back into the box. This time I covered it with a mesh. This kitten felt really thin when I picked it up, so I gave it some soft doggie treats and dog food. It was pretty hungry. In the meantime, I am also texting my editor to see if she wants the kitten. I had heard that her sister's cat recently passed, so I thought she might want it. Only problem was that her sister lives in New Mexico and they would have to figure that out, but she did want the kitten.

Later that evening, about 2am, the kitten is crying and a lot more active than this afternoon. I decide to get up because now my dog is barking and neither one of them seems to be stopping. So I block off the door leading out of the pantry area and let the kitten out in there. I give it a bit more food and seems to be getting used to me, but it still does not want to keep quiet. By now it's about 3:30am and I need to get up around 6am. I decide to turn out the light in the room and just sit there and sleep to keep the kitten company. Finally by 4am it has found an area to hide in and falls asleep and I go back to my bed.

The next morning I get ready to take the kitten into the office, but find out that the other one came back and is hiding in the space again. Not sure how it got back in there since I blocked both ends off. This time I used the fishing net again to catch it and put into a really tall box, since this one is way more active. Unfortunately I had to take the black and white kitten into the animal shelter, since I could not find anyone to take it in right away.

My editor did take the beige one into the vet before taking it to New Mexico over the weekend. I found out from her that it was a boy, when I thought it might be a girl, and it had some fleas, but didn't seem sick or have any other problems. If I were a cat person I probably would have kept him, especially since he had a nice disposition and very cute.

No comments: