Friday, May 29, 2009

I Ain't Afraid Of No Ghost... Or Am I?

There's a new game being developed for the Nintendo DSi that might just creep me out. Especially if I were to play it late at night... all alone... by myself... in the dark, if that's even possible.

The game is called Ghostwire. It's being developed by A Different Game based out of Sweden. It's kind of like a ghost hunting/research game... Think Ghost Hunters on your DSi. The game takes advantage of all the capabilities of the new DSi system by incorporating the camera, microphone and touch controls. Use the camera to search the area for spirits that will appear on the top half of the screen. Bottom half seems to use ghost hunting equipment, like a frequency modulator for tuning in the spirits. Once you have found the spirits, you can document them and find out why they are there. The ghosts can also give you riddles to solve that will help them find peace.

Not sure how far in production this game is in, but it did win 1st prize in Nokia's N-Gage Mobile Games Innovation Challenge 2008 earlier this year. That version of the game was for your cell phone or other mobile device. I'm hoping it will be at E3 next week. I'd like to see how this looks.

4 comments:

Sidd said...

You know, I'm almost tempted to get into gaming. Can you believe it? No games? If you were jumping in for the first time right now, where would you jump?

deanobot said...

Since I would consider you the "casual gamer" type, the Wii and DS would be perfect for you. There are more games that you can just pickup and play for a little while. As opposed to the 360 and PS3 are better suited for the "hardcore" or serious gamers.

Used to play games almost every night for a few hours until I got stuck on the last stage of COD3. Stopped playing because of that, then after about a year I picked it again and past it within hours.

Sidd said...

Thanks Deano. That helps a lot. I really WANT to play, but the many options left me unable to choose at all. Now I have a direction. That's interesting that you were able to pass that stage you were stuck on so quickly after you returned to the game. Any theories on that?

deanobot said...

I think I was trying to hard to pass the level. After some time away I was able to re-think my strategy and how to approach it. I still have about 10 new games I haven't even started to play, plus another dozen still to finish.